Uhm, yeah, so it’s been quite some time since I’ve posted. Here are just a few of my excuses:

  1. I traveled to Boston, San Francisco, and Jersey City to lead Situational Leadership training for inVentiv Health Consulting (formerly Campbell Alliance).
  2. I somehow injured my neck, resulting in intense and consistent pain in left shoulder and arm, and numbness in left index finger and thumb.
  3. I’ve rested quite a few days (and for obvious reasons).
  4. I’ve been depressed due to inability to exercise. There, I said it.
  5. I’d rather re-watch GOT.
  6. These here United States of ‘Merica are pretty f@cked up. (And if one more person says “all lives matter” I’m going to punch them in the throat. Can you say “white privilege?”)

Here’s what’s happened since I last blogged.

Whilst in Boston I worked out at CrossFit Fenway. I attended an hourlong session that included heavy deadlifts, OHS, and rowing. The coach said nary a word to me the entire hour. Not a “good job,” not an “extend your hips.” Nothing. Nada. Not. A. Word. I did buy a tee shirt.

The excruciating pain in my mid-back began whilst traveling to San Francisco. If I hadn’t been in so much pain I would’ve been able to work out three days. The pain was so bad that I walked to a Minute Clinic to get prescription for muscle relaxer. There were a few times whilst I was training that I thought I might pass out from the pain. The redeye flight home was nightmarish, as I just couldn’t get comfortable.

Steroids helped, and I was able to work out at CrossFit Jersey City. The owner, Travis, was very hospitable and provided good coaching. It is disconcerting, however, to visit a box and  not have a single member say a single word. It’s certainly not like that at CrossFit Surmount! The first day we worked on C&J, but as my left arm wasn’t cooperating I merely worked on power cleans. I was very disappointed that I wasn’t able to complete JT, one of my favorite hero WODs. I attempted a handstand pushup and wasn’t able to, well, push up. I also couldn’t complete ring dips and even pushups were laborious. Dammit. The second day I visited we completed back squats and I completed a single at 235. I attempted a lift at 260, three pounds more than recently achieved PR, but failed. Travis said, “Too heavy.” Well, okay then. The metcon was 5 rounds of 50 double unders and 25 air squats. I crushed it, bitches.

Many more days of rest. I wanted to at least be able to complete “1776.” I did so, but in retrospect shouldn’t have even attempted.

Saturday I finally I had an MRI, and that was a surreal experience. I’m not claustrophobic. I did, however, open my eyes once whilst in the contraption, and then decided to keep them closed. I knew I needed to get to the root of the problem as I hadn’t had a restful night of sleep since the pain first began. I’d wake up in the middle of the night, unable to get comfortable and thus unable to sleep.

MON JULY 04, 2016 | 1776

Metcon (AMRAP – Rounds and Reps)

Complete as many rounds as possible in 60 minutes of:
17 power cleans (135)
76 squats
Unload the barbell and carry it 200m  (100m up and back).
Next carry one and then the other plate 200m.
Load the barbell and continue.

I didn’t warm up effectively, and I should know better. I attempted a power clean at 135# and just couldn’t pull myself under it fast enough. I scaled to 105#, and completed the first 17 PCs at that weight.

I did, however, have a bar loaded with 45# plates. After completing 76 air squats I de-loaded the barbell, ran with the barbell on my back, grabbed a plate and ran, and then grabbed the other plate and ran. I loaded the barbell and thought, “Just try 135# again.” So I did, and I completed the remainder of the workout lifting that weight. And it was miserable. And I shouldn’t have. And I should know better.

Whilst I did run with endurance athletes on Tuesday, I didn’t work out. I also didn’t work out Wednesday. I might be getting fat, too.


Metcon (Time)

50 double unders
15 dumbbell FULL squat cleans @ 25/20% of bodyweight per dumbbell
15 burpees
50 double unders
– Rest 2 minutes

Thirty-five pound dumbbells. Gah! Josh, a potential member/coach, attended the session. I set up my station near the front of the box, as I often do. Luke was nearby, as he almost always is.

I completed 50 unbroken double unders, 15 unbroken cleans and burpees, and finished with another 50 unbroken double unders in 3:06. That’s a strong start!

I began each of the remaining 4 rounds with 50 unbroken double unders. (I remember a time when I really struggled with double unders.)

I did break up the cleans into sets of 8 and 7 the second round. Shit was getting heavy. I completed unbroken burpees, albeit certainly not at a fast pace, and broke up double unders into sets of 35 and 15. The round took me 3:45 to complete.

The rest was much needed after all rounds.

The most difficult part of the remaining rounds was most certainly the cleans. I completed third and fourth rounds in sets  of 3 (I can’t recall exact number of reps) and the last round in a set of four. I completed the third round in 4:01, the fourth round in 5:24, and the last round in 5:27. Yes, I slowed down, but I’m still pleased with performance. Oh, and I completed the very last round of 50 double unders in unbroken reps.

Total time = 27:44

My very good friend, Jay (who just happens to be a PT), recommended that I complete heavy farmer’s carries.


Metcon (Time)

200m farmer’s carry (35# DBs)
25 Abmat sit-ups
10 box jump overs (24″)

Luke really, really, really wanted me to play with him, so as I was attempting to not injure myself I held onto his pull toy as I completed sit-ups. Why the hell not?

Time = 16:20

I visited Triangle Orthopedics Friday afternoon. The verdict is that I’m getting old. Stronger muscle relaxers and pain relievers, and I’ll be getting a steroid epidural soon.

Good times, good times.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s